yaboot dual boot problems

I managed to write yaboot to the Apple_Bootstrap partition so
that it boots linux off of the hard drive.  It's starting to
make sense to me now.

Unfortunately, I cannot boot into MacOS unless I command-option-o-f
into open firmware and explicitly
    boot hd:8,\\:tbxi

This is despite the fact that I deliberately copied the template
from /usr/doc/yaboot/examples/menu_ofboot.b to /boot/ofboot.b,
as per the docs, and edited the X's out of the boot lines:

--------------------------
<BOOT-SCRIPT>
" get-key-map" " keyboard" open-dev $call-method
dup 20 dump
5 + c@ 08 = if
" Booting MacOS ..." cr " boot hd:8,\\:tbxi" eval
else
" Booting Yaboot ..." cr " boot hd:5,yaboot" eval
then
</BOOT-SCRIPT>
--------------------------

(/dev/hda5 is the Apple_Bootstrap, /dev/hda8 is the HFS MacOS slice)

How do I interpret what is intended by this script?  Am I supposed
to be getting icons at boot time, or do I need to press some key?
I've tried holding the spacebar down, as suggested in the FAQ[1],
but that gets me nowhere.

I'm going straight into yaboot's "boot:" prompt, and don't seem to
have keyboard control and have to wait for the timeout.  My yaboot.conf
file is given below.

[1] http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/doc/yaboot-faq.html

--------------------------
## example yaboot.conf for ybin and yaboot 0.6
## see man yaboot.conf for more details.

## change to your bootstrap partition ie /dev/hda2
device=hd:
timeout=50
magicboot=/boot/ofboot.b
boot=/dev/hda5