Re: open firmware netboot?

Ethan wrote:

> this is strange and disturbing. can it read regular ISO9660 CDs?
> (debian CD 1 is hybrid ISO/HFS)

Yes, it can read regular ISO9660s...what's more interesting is that
we have another iMac of the same vintage that I just tested -- it
boots just fine off of the same CD -- must be some subtle flaw in
the cdrom drive?  alignment?  calibration?  I don't know.

> yes all newworld macs can do a netboot.  all the work is involved on
> your tftp/bootp server.  the mac just needs to have the `n' key held
> down on powerup.

What happens then?  does it go interactive so that I can specify
an IP address, or do I need to set up some BOOTP magic?  Is this
documented anywhere?

I'm also having troubles finding the right mkofboot incantation
(yes, still)  I can make yaboot start off of the Apple_Bootstrap
partition, but it always complains about not finding an image.

(More playing to be done, I guess.)