Re: open firmware netboot?

On Fri, Sep 08, 2000 at 09:22:02PM -0500, pohl wrote:

> I have a bootable debian CD in hand (from debian-cd.com), and an old
> rev A iMac that refuses to boot it.  The CD boots up on my G4 without
> fail, but with this iMac it cannot boot.  (open firmware says that it
> has trouble reading block 0).  The iMac won't even mount the CD on the
> desktop in MacOS, and offers to format it for me.  :-/
>
> This machine has never had trouble reading/mounting any other
> CDs in its history, and this same disk works fine in every
> machine I've tried -- so I'm at a loss.

this is strange and disturbing. can it read regular ISO9660 CDs?
(debian CD 1 is hybrid ISO/HFS)

> Plan B:  do a tftp-style net boot from open firmware.  I've heard
> rumorsr that some OF implementations can do this, but I can't
> find any documentation on what the incantation might be at the
> OF prompt.

yes all newworld macs can do a netboot.  all the work is involved on
your tftp/bootp server.  the mac just needs to have the `n' key held
down on powerup.

> Has anybody accomplished something liket this?  I'd love some
> pointers.

yes, not me personally but a few have, yaboot supports netboot.

one of these days i should try that just for fun...

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/