Re: install potato on ibook: yaboot problems

On Mon, Aug 21, 2000 at 11:57:31PM -0500, James Sasitorn wrote:
> cool. I didnt know how you had a partitioning tutorial.. I saw the yaboot
> one earlier... the partitioning tutorial is top notch.
>
> --fdisk summary
> /dev/hda1 partition map
> 2           driver4.3
> 3           driver 4.3
> 4           driver ATA
> 5           driver ATA
> 6           FW driver
> 7           driver io kit
> 8           patch parition
> 9           bootstrap hfs  (2M)  (Apple_Bootstrap)
> 10         /          (500M)        (Apple_UNIX_XVR2)
> 11        swap     (128M)
> 12        usr        (1.0G)
> 13        opt        (500M)
> 14        home     (500M)
> 15           2.0 gig hfs (for macos) (Apple_HFS)
> 16        700k free

this would appear ok.

> --------------------------
> --yaboot.conf
> boot=/dev/hda9
> ofboot=hd:9
> device=hd:
> delay=5
> timeout=20
> install=/boot/yaboot
> magicboot=/boot/ofboot.m
> macos:15                   #is this the correct syntax?

no it should be macos=hd:15 do note however that this option only
works with ybin 0.17 and the new ofboot.b loader that comes with it,
the new loader is not compatible with ybin 0.16 which is what is in
potato.

> default=Linux
>
> image=hd:10,/boot/vmlinux   # i also tried this as just image=/boot/vmlinux

does /boot/vmlinux exist?  debian by default installs the kernel at
/boot/vmlinux-2.2.17 (or whatever version) and a symlink /vmlinux ->
/boot/vmlinux-2.2.17

so i would try image=/vmlinux

[snip]
> Image not found... try again

see above

> Again, the parition faq is excellent, but I couldnt decipher all of the
> yaboot ones.. also, so i do all of this from the potato boot cd.. and I
> mount the partition (on /target), setup everything, and then before
> rebooting, run "mkofboot -v -C /target/etc/yaboot.conf -m
> /target/etc/ofboot.b -i /target/boot/yaboot"

did you edit /target/etc/yaboot.conf for your system? i assume it is
as shown above?

[snip]
> I tried a search on yaboot.conf on google.. The results were not promising..
> Any help is appreciated.

my site is pretty much it..  i am the one who wrote the yaboot man
pages, which you should read too as soon as you have mandb installed ;-)

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/