Setting up the defaultroute for PPP

Hello boys and girls!

netbase added this text in my /etc/init.d/network file:

# (added automatically by netbase upgrade)
#
# In new Debian installations, this file is deprecated in favour of
# the ifup/ifdown commands (invoked from /etc/init.d/networking), which
# can be configured from the file /etc/network/interfaces.

I have now modified /etc/network/interfaces to the case, with the
simplest possible config, as from the given example. I have then
renamed /etc/init.d/network so that it is not loaded at boot time.
After reboot, eth0 comes up. By magic, after a while it goes down.
I still have to understand how this new method works, and the man
does not help. This whole thing arised from a simpler issue, that
used to be simple to solve. When PPP comes up, it needs to take
over the default route, then return it when it goes down. I have
added defaultroute to /etc/ppp/options but it does not work. This
whole thing seem to be broken, and I need the help of someone that
knows how the new network management works.

P.S. I am using the latest pppd and wvdial.

Sergio