unzip

I was trying to download a zip'd program from a web site, (which was supposed to be for Windows, NT, Linux, Unix etc.).  My browser said 'unknow type blah blah' and gave me the option to save it, which I did, and I named it something.zip.  That's when I found out I don't have unzip.  I tried to apt-get it, but I got a message that the file is in the database, but there is no version available or something (potato, main, contrib, non-free).  How do I extract the program and run it?