Java development on debian ppc

I installed jikes so I could do some Java hacking.

jikes complains that it cannot find stuff:

*** Error: Could not find package named:
                /usr/share/java/repository/java/util

*** Error: Could not find package named:
                /usr/share/java/repository/java/lang

This is not just a path problem - there are no basic java packages on my box,
it would seem.

So the core Java classes were not installed with the jikes deb.

Poking around, jdk1.1-devel is not available; I have java-common installed and
java-virtual-machine. What  can I do to get these missing classfiles?

Stephen