no sound on g3 under linux

Hi!

As indicated by the subject, I have problems with my sound on the G3 b&w
powermac. It just loads dmasound and doesn't complain. But there is _no_
sound. Since I am completely on yaboot and have absolutely no HFS
partition with MacOS running, I can't check into MacOS for this - the
installation CD doesn't run the SystemAV extension and so doesn't allow
volume setting.

I assume that there is something fubar in the nvram settings, but I
don't know what and especially don't know how to fix it without MacOS.
Anybody has a good idea how to get back sound?

BTW: on boot time, the system does create the little chime. But it is
not very loud, that's why I assume that it's something in the settings.

bye, Georg