Re: wavelan (was ALERT: AirPort 1.2 update breaks WaveLAN)

Hi, Hollis--

On 6/16/00 at 6:10 PM +0900 you wrote:

 Might I ask which WaveLan card you're using? I didn't get anywhere with
 a Melco WLI-PCM-L11 (listed as supported in pcmcia-cs). That is, the
 pcmcia stack recognized it and loaded the driver and all, but the driver
 apparently couldn't communicate with the base station at all.

 Should I try another card?

Well, until I updated to AirPort 1.2, a standard Lucent WaveLAN Silver Turbo 11Mb card was working very well in Linux:

--Bronze PowerBook G3/400
--WaveLAN Silver Turbo 11Mb
--Debian potato/ppc, current
--Kernel 2.2.16 ('rsync -avz linuxcare.com.au::linux-pmac-stable linux')
--pcmcia-cs-3.1.14 (from <ftp://sourceforge.org/pcmcia/>

AFAICR, the pcmcia-cs-3.1.14 source built and worked only after patching with Harald Roelle's patches, available at
<http://www.roelle.com/wvlanPPC/recipe_download.html>

Harald's patches are for pcmcia-cs-3.1.10, so you have to manually enter the files to patch as you apply it (or else change the paths in the patch files). All patches then applied successfully.

The kernel, of course, has to be built with the Radio networking (WaveLAN) option(s), etc.

----

But after the AirPort 1.2 upgrade, all this excellent in-Linux functionality is gone. (I'm not _sure_ AirPort 1.2 is the cause, but I think it is. Looks very much like the WaveLAN card's firmware was altered.)

I spent several hours last night trying downgrading to the Lucent WaveLAN drivers, then the AirPort 1.1 drivers, then various pcmcia configuration settings. Maybe the answer is a specific tweak to /etc/pcmcia/config.opts or to wvlan_cs.c, but I haven't found it yet. (Clearly I have much to learn about PCMCIA in Linux.)

Mike

--
Mike James <mwjames@pobox.com>
Mac OS & Linux advocate,