Re: Installing on StarMax 3000/200

On Wed, Jun 07, 2000 at 11:37:50AM +0100, Stephen Pickering wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I finally got round to trying to install potato onto a StarMax I've got. I
> downloaded the latest boot, root & driver images for the floppies and used
> Winimage to create the boot disk and rawrite (tried 1.3 & 2) to make the
> root & driver disks.
>
> Booting from floppy proceeds well, floppy icon changes to Mac & Tux and
> proceeds to display on the video its Linux 2.1.15pre20 and booting...
> it spits out the boot floppy and I've tried using the root & rescue image,
> after pressing the return key it seems to step thru the second disk till
> it's been thru the disk then it just sits there.
>
> I also set boot-file to root=/dev/sda0
>
> I have a terminal on the console port, which works OK, I'm using OF 2.0.2
>
> Any clues ?

you should not change OF settings yet for using the boot floppies,
they use the MacOS hardware ROM to boot, rather then OpenFirmware.
this may not be the problem but try resetting OF to defaults, and boot
your floppies that way.

after you are installed then you play with OF to get quik going.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/