Re: debian installed, booted, now X questions

Michel Dänzer wrote:

> "M.Stolte" wrote:
>
> > Does debian ppc have X fb-dev support only, or is there another way to use
> > my ati something 64 card?
>
> The X 3.3.6 fbdev server contains acceleration for mach64. Or if you really
> want to, you can manually install Xpmac.
>
> > If it doesn't, how do i configure fb-dev to show something instead of the
> > white screen with yellow text and a mousepointer which looks like the X one?
>
> What depth are you trying in?

The accelerated X server for atyfb is quite buggy on some cards- or rather, it's
atyfb itself, depending on how you look at it.  The problems persist to the 2.4
kernel.  I have a Mach64 VT, which has problems like you describe- white screen
with some black text and the X cursor for 1164x870x8, but 1164x864x8 is mostly
usable.  To get a fully-usable, but molasses-slow, server, insert the line:

Option "no_accel"

into the Device section of /etc/X11/XF86Config.

I think the problem is that there are too many Mach64 variants for the maintainer
to support fully, and they're not quite well-enough documented by ATI (and
I haven't been quite as helpful a tester/codeveloper as I could be- Geert gave me
some tools, but I've yet to really use them :-).

For more details, including info on how you can help, see the fbdev mailing list
thread starting at:
http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-fbdev@vuser.vu.union.edu/msg02291.html

Zeen,

-Adam P.