Re: sound on G3 Powerbook

Jeremiah Merkl wrote:

> Ethan Benson wrote:
>
> > > Nothing complains about bad audio devices, but I never get any audio output.
> > > Never. Not even system-beeps when I hit backspace in a console window. aumix
> > > comes up rather screwed, with an aumix -q producing:
> >
> > do you have external speakers plugged in? or are you expecting sound
> > out of the internal speaker?  if the latter then your right you don't
> > hear anything because the internel speaker does not work under
> > GNU/Linux.  (i don't know why)
>
> Ah-hah. That did it...almost. :) Just plugging in the speakers didn't help,
> I had to play around with aumix to turn up the volume. I could only do it on
> command line, because the speaker control is screwed (120,103...)
>
> So, after doing an "aumix -p 75 -v 75" I had audio. And now, I'm going to
> file a bug against aumix. :)

Actually, before I file a bug against aumix, it appears that it's not its
fault for not reading the mixer properties correctly. Where does aumix look
for that info? I noticed that XMMS' volume control does absolutely nothing
as well, so unless it relies on aumix, then it's something deeper than that.

So, the question becomes, do we make the PPC conform to standards, or make
the apps conform to PPC...?

-Jeremiah Merkl