Re: Pismo status

On Sat, 20 May 2000, Sven LUTHER wrote:

> >  Ok Sven. You are convinced about your idea, but I am still skeptical.
> >  In order to persuade me, I need a proof. Please perform this simple
> >  experiment, then report the result. The experiment is as follows.
> >  Have a nice and long trip with your car, then come back home, and
> >  switch the engine off ensuring that the cooling fan is not spinning.
> >  Let us know if your car starts again the next day.

Um, there's a big difference there.  Your car is mechanical.  Computers
are not, other than the hard drive.  And excess heat probably does
contribute to stiction in hard drives, but that's about it.  When you stop
your car, oil drains out of the engine.  If the engine is still in an
expanded state from the heat, you're in deep you-know-what.  ;-)

> >  for a long time, then shutdown. Keep doing it every day, for a week
> >  or so. Let us know it your jewel works fine at the end of it.
>
> Ok, no problem it is your hardware, you do as you think is best, but
> still, there were talks about powerbook case cooling without fan, so
> this could be not so big a problem, unless you are using your laptop at
> noon in the sahara.

Yeah.  The powerbook case cools both through heat rising through gaps in
the keyboard and through the entire thing being basically one huge heat
sink.  :-)

> That said, i don't believe apple (as well as all the other laptop builders)
> would release a laptop that would fry itself

No, but they can fry eggs, or at least the wallstreets could.  :-)

David

A brief Haiku:

Microsoft is bad.
It seems secure at first glance.