Re: [Fwd: trackpad-g3 powerbook]

On Sat, 20 May 2000, Josh wrote:

>> There's a tiny little utility here that lets you set the trackpad to
>> "notap" mode (as well as "tap", "drag" and "lock" modes):
>
> I tried to do this, but I really don't know what I'm doing as far as
> compiling stuff.  I used gcc, and now I have a file called a.out or
> something.

That file is your program. You can run it by typing ./a.out from inside
its directory. I suggest renaming it to "trackpad" and moving it somewhere
convenient like /usr/local/sbin so that you just have to type
"trackpad" to run it.

a.out is the default name for a compiled executable, for historical
reasons.

> Also I don't have an /etc/rc.d/rc.local.  I have some directories
> called /etc/rc0.d, rc1.d, rc2.g etc.  They have all kind of files in
> them, but I couldn't find rc.local.

This is because Debian stores the runlevel scripts in a style different
from the one used by several other Linux distributions. On Debian, I
believe you should look in /etc/rcS.d.

(This is one of those old differences between SysV Unix and BSD Unix that
has survived in modern Unix-like OSs to the present day.)