Re: [linux-fbdev] Re: 2.3.99pre7-8 experiences

On Fri, 12 May 2000, Kevin Puetz wrote:

> ajoshi@shell.unixbox.com said:
> > No, everyone should *not* use 4.0 yet, at least those with Mach64
> > chipsets.  the ATI driver in the stock 4.0 source does not work on
> > ppc, I have added PPC support and will get it into 4.01 if i get some
> > more free time soon.
>
> Xpmac is so much faster than XF68_FBDev it's not even funny, but I don't want
> to give up my wheel mouse :-( If you're looking for testers for mach64 accel,
> you know where to ask - assuming I'm not busy wiping the drool off my keyboard
> :-)
>
> I wish you well on making that deadline...

Actually, Xpmac is very slow compared to XFree 4.0.  If you
compare Xpmac vs. XFree86 4.0 r128 you'll find xfree 4.0 (with a couple of
my patches in Jack Howarth's RPMS) are over 200% faster then Xpmac.  As
for mach64, a local build shows somewhat the same increase over xpmac.

Xpmac isn't really a "true" X server, its largely a big hack.

ani