Re: How to switch to debian on a powermac G4?

Thanks to Brendan and Daniel and the archives, I got the thing going.

Just in case somebody is listening, here is what I did:

- using an YDL CD, I partitioned the disk into one Mac partition and
  two linux ones (plus a linux swap of course). I actually wnet on to
  install YDL on the second partition, but I do not think it was necessary.

- reinstalled MacOS on the Mac partition and downloaded yaboot and the
  root/rescue disks images + debian kernel (using InternetExplorer!)

- configured yaboot to boot from the downloaded kernel and with the
  rescue.bin image as ramdisk.

Once OpenFirmware was set to boot using yaboot I go into the
installation process and could go on with the fun stuff.

I'll post my yaboot.conf, when I get to work where the machine is.

Daniel> Requires glibc 2.0?  Are you sure?

Unfortunately yes. Trying to run against glibc2.1 makes the program
segfault which I recall as being one of the symptoms of lib mismatches
across those versions (and the recommended linux versions are listed
as R4 or MkLinux).

A new version of the software (Allegro Common Lisp by Franz Inc.) is
in production but that will not come out before fall I think it was.

Daniel> If so, you should not even be trying to make this run - glibc 2.0 never
Daniel> really existed on PowerPC, it was a halfbaked port at best.  Only 2.1
Daniel> and soon 2.2 are really an option.  R4 and MkLinux were notoriously
Daniel> incompatible with everything else.

Hmm, I was not aware that the situation was that bad. My hopes was
that I could compile a glibc2.0 good enough for the software to run.

I will give it a try though, I think. I am not that keen on trying to
get R4 up and running. There doesn't really seem to be that much
information on its installation out there anymore.

Christian Lynbech          | Ericsson Telebit, Fabrikvej 11, DK-8260 Viby J
Fax:   +45 8675 6881       | email: chl@ericssontelebit.com
Phone: +45 8675 6828       | web:   www.ericssontelebit.com
                                        - petonic@hal.com (Michael A. Petonic)