Re: XFree86 4.0 binaries

On Tue, May 09, 2000 at 11:22:56AM +0200, Michel Dänzer wrote:

> >     (--) PCI: (0:16:0) ATI unknown chipset (0x4c46) rev 2, Mem @
> > 0xa4000000/26, 0xa0000000/14, I/O @ 0x0400/8
>
> Are you sure the chip in those Notebooks is from the Rage128 family?
>
> If it's in fact from the mach64 family, you'll have to use the fbdev driver
> for now - you might need a recent kernel which corrects broken OF PCI memory
> ranges from though.

No it is a Rage128, but a Rage128 mobility chip. I am sure this chips have
different identifier than the desktop version of the rage128. So this would
have to be added at the right place (should be not so difficult, please report
the chip id from /proc/pci, or if a name is given there, look at the kenrel
source for the place where this name is defined.)

Then you have only to add it to the right place in the 4.0 source and
recompile.

Though i think the best way wouldbe to get the device id, and then contact the
Xfree rage128 maintainer (on xfree-mga and/or xfree-devel i think).

Friendly,

Sven LUTHER