Re: yaboot errors on g4

On Sat, Apr 08, 2000 at 12:31:40PM +1000, Brendan J Simon wrote:

> Really.  What is it supposed to look like ?

here is what my partition table looks like, and its working quite
well:

/dev/hda
        #                    type name                   length   base       ( size )  system
/dev/hda1     Apple_partition_map Apple                      63 @ 1          ( 31.5k)  Partition map
/dev/hda2         Apple_Bootstrap bootstrap                1600 @ 64         (800.0k)  Unknown
/dev/hda3         Apple_UNIX_SVR2 /                      143360 @ 1664       ( 70.0M)  Linux native
/dev/hda4         Apple_UNIX_SVR2 swap                   196608 @ 145024     ( 96.0M)  Linux swap
/dev/hda5         Apple_UNIX_SVR2 /usr                  8388608 @ 341632     (  4.0G)  Linux native
/dev/hda6         Apple_UNIX_SVR2 /usr/local            6291456 @ 8730240    (  3.0G)  Linux native
/dev/hda7         Apple_UNIX_SVR2 /opt                  1228800 @ 15021696   (600.0M)  Linux native
/dev/hda8         Apple_UNIX_SVR2 /var                  2097152 @ 16250496   (  1.0G)  Linux native
/dev/hda9         Apple_UNIX_SVR2 /var/tmp               716800 @ 18347648   (350.0M)  Linux native
/dev/hda10        Apple_UNIX_SVR2 /tmp                   122880 @ 19064448   ( 60.0M)  Linux native
/dev/hda11        Apple_UNIX_SVR2 /home                20900832 @ 19187328   ( 10.0G)  Linux native

Block size=512, Number of Blocks=40088160
DeviceType=0x0, DeviceId=0x0

> The only strange thing I noticed is that the "extra" partition has a length of
> 0xffffffff.

yeah your partition table says your disk is 2TB, which is absurd.

> I used pdisk to initialise the partition table with the "i" option.

pdisk is broken in that it comes up with bogus values on large disks,
here is how to get the real number:

[eb@socrates eb]$ cat /proc/partitions | grep -w hda
   3     0   20044080 hda
[eb@socrates eb]$

20044080 * 2 = 40088160 <--- use this value when mac-fdisk asks how
many blocks there are.

> I didn't know how to set the size or types of partitions using pdisk or fdisk,
> so I used the LinuxPPC X based disk partitioner.  I just set the last partition

from the looks of it LinuxPPC's partitioner is broken, for one its not
creating partitions with the right type (which might not make a
difference, i err on caution and do it the standard way)

pdisk is not hard to use, it just takes some getting used to. see below..

> to be as large as I could get.
>
> How do I fix the partition table ?

mac-fdisk (or pdisk) /dev/hda

Command (? for help): i
blocks: <value from /proc/partitions * 2>

Command (? for help): C
First block: 2P
Length in blocks: 800K
Name of partition: bootstrap
Type of partition: Apple_Bootstrap
Command (? for help): c
First block: 3P
Length in blocks: 256M
Name of partition: swap
Command (? for help): c
First block: 4P
Length in blocks: 2048M
Name of partition: /
Command (? for help): c
First block: 5P
Length in blocks: 5P
Name of partition: /home
Command (? for help): w
Command (? for help): q

> I want 800KB bootstrap, 256MB of swap, 2GB for "/" and the rest for "/home".

see above.

use real pdisk or mac-fdisk from debian preferably, say away from
that broken X based partitioner...

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/