Re: iso8859-2 on apus/debian box (polish specific)

On Wed, Apr 05, Legalh wrote:

> how to make a xmodmap with 8859-2 on my amiga/apus/debianppc box?

Please, don't start with workarounds. Xmodmap is only useful for broken
distributions... or if you don't have any root access to your machine ;)

Just create a proper xkb/keycodes/amiga , xkb/symbols/amiga/us file.
If you already have it then look in your XF86Config, how looks your
keyboard section?
It should be something like this:

#for PowerMacs:
Section "Keyboard"
  Protocol      "Standard"
  XkbRules      "xfree86"
  XkbModel      "macintosh"
  XkbLayout     "de"
  XkbVariant    "nodeadkeys"
EndSection

This requires a proper xkb/rules/xfree86 file. Have a look at the file
ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/ppc/update/BETA/xkb_update-2000.03.27-2.ppc.rpm

It is mostly for Macs and CHRP/PReP machines, we don't have any Apus
machines.

The entry above takes the keycode and map it to a temporary symbol
(xkb/keycodes/macintosh), then map this temporary symbol to a real
key_smbol in xkb/symbols/macintosh/us and finally apply some contry
specific "patches" in xkb/symbols/de using the section "nodeadkeys".

If you have any trouble, contact me. I plan to clean up all ppc specific
keymaps in the next days, hopefully this weekend.

Gruss Olaf

--
 $ man 1 current_release

BUGS