Re: yaboot errors on g4

On Fri, Apr 07, 2000 at 06:15:51PM +1000, Brendan J Simon wrote:
> I finally went out and bought linuxppc (AUS$15) and yellowdog (AUS$15)
> disks so I can boot into Linux.  I don't plan on installing either, I
> just wanted a boot disk so I could untar the debian base2_2.tgz file and
> then use apt.

if you can it would be better to boot the ramdisk, otherwise you have
to do all the base configuration yourself..

> I downloaded ybin (0.11), yaboot (0.5) and hfsutils and managed to
> install them on a 800K HFS bootstrap partition (yes it is the first
> partition, well 2nd partition after the partition table itself).

good..

> I get an error message saying "can't read config file" so I can't load
> linux.  I can't press tab as the config file was not read.  I have tried
> putting in commands manually at the boot: prompt.
> eg.
> "boot: hd:4,/boot/vmlinux ro"
> but I get the following error
> "Image not found...... try again"
>
> What am I doing wrong ?
> How can I get debian to boot ?
> I can't even get the LinuxPPC installation to boot of the hard disk.

hmm this sounds like a problem with yaboot mangling the OF path but i
thought that was fixed in 0.4..  what does your yaboot.conf file look
like?  this is an IDE disk right?

it might be useful to try a debug version of yaboot which will print
everything its trying to do.  if you want i could compile a debug
version for you.