Re: Debian on Powerbook Firewire

On Wed, Apr 05, 2000 at 01:53:53PM +0000, Vivek Balasubramanyam wrote:
> I managed to get linux running on my new powerbook, but I'm not doing too well with LinuxPPC.  Does anyone have instructions to either convert my installation to Debian or blow it away and install debian over my existing kernel?
>
> Thanks,
> Vivek

its more then the kernel that is broken in linuxppc, i would blow the
whole thing away and install debian clean.  this is really not that
difficult if you get past these two challenges:

finding working boot floppies (i have no idea at the moment sorry)

bootstrapping your system.  this can be tricky since usually there is
no floppy and you probably don't have access to a CD burner to make a
bootable CD.  the internel hard disk probably needs to be
repartitioned too.

once you get past those two you can pretty much follow the intel
install instructions except for the bootloader.

your partitioning should be as follows (in this order):

bootstrap partition, 800K, type: Apple_Bootstrap
linux root partition type: Apple_UNIX_SVR2
additional linux partitions (/usr /home ...) type: Apple_UNIX_SVR2
macos partition (if you want macos) type: Apple_HFS

like all other OSes on other archetectures say to do, you should use
the fdisk that goes with the OS to create its' partitions, ie: use
apple's Drive setup for macos partitions, and linuxs' mac-fdisk to
create the linux/bootstrap partitions.  trying to use drive setup for
linux partitions is problematic, as is using mac-fdisk to create macos
partitions.  if you want macos you need to use drive setup first to
create two ordinary HFS partitions, the first should be the total size
all of your linux partitions will take, you will delete this partition
when to boot linux and create the real linux partitions in its
place. if you don't want macos then just use mac-fdisk exclusivly,
initialize the map to clear out any junk partitions littered on the
disk.

once you have the base system installed get yaboot and hfsutils to
setup the bootstrap partition. my ybin utility simplifies this (its a
linux only utility) it includes some instructions on how to initialize
and install yaboot onto the bootstrap partition.

right now you need preferably a bootable CD (i can make bootable
images provided a working kernel and an up to date root image), but if
you do not have access to a CD burner you need to get some other form
of (bootable) external media.  if you plan to install macos you can
make the partitions as mentioned above for macos and temporarly load
yaboot from there until you setup the bootstrap partition from linux
(allowing for transparent booting usually without tinkering with OF)

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/