Re: compiling PPC kernels using binutils-2.9.5.0.22-5

On Tue, 21 Mar 2000, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:

> It looks like objcopy no longer creates temporary files (the manpage states it
> does), so it no longer works if the input and output file are the same.
>
> After reverting to binutils-2.9.5.0.22-4 everything worked fine again.

Ok.  I know I've written this before, but neither binutils (-4 or -5) did
things properly (nor does the kernel Makefile, actually, which should've
just specified one filename argument if the output was the same as the
input).  I've since patched it to behave properly, but want to get a new
version uploaded as well (to fix an Alpha ELF bug among other things).  If
you could, grab a copy of the source package, build it, and test it on PPC
to make sure the behaviour is as expected.  You can get it at:
  ftp://spawn.besmarter.com/pub/binutils-test

The source package should be there at around 02:00 Eastern Time
(US -- half hour from now).