Re: installing

Candace Schenk wrote:

> some questions:
> how do I install (or really what files do I need to download or where
> can I read more about installing)?

  Well, the install guide on the debian site is actually fairly clear (perhaps
light in detail, but it certainly is clear).  You download the files it
specifies (base.tgz, ramdisk, bootX, kernel, etc) and then once the base is
installed, you use dpkg to get the rest (either apt-get via ftp, or cd install,
or whatever you choose)

> would it be best to burn a cd of debian and try it that way, or can I
> download files in an external zip drive and install what way?

Well, that all depends on what you want to do w/ it.  The simplest would be to
just install it directly via an ftp install....

> For some reason my computer (oldest style G3 mini tower) does not have
> scsi on the motherbord, is this known to be a problem (it is for mklinux,
> but it is ok with linuxppc)?

What is the problem?  If you have a beige g3, then your logic board does indeed
have scsi on it (it may not have a scsi drive, but it does have two scsi
buses--one internal and one external)

I fail to understand what the problem is.  Both my beige g3 tower and sawtooth
g4 work extremely well under linux...

HTH
--Nelson Abramson

--
Shouldn't people be arrested and persecuted for engaging in their
constitutional rights?  http://www.opendvd.org