Re: Storm Linux 2000

On Thu, Mar 02, 2000 at 01:35:50PM +0100, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> Previously Sven LUTHER wrote:
> > my question was more what do you provide more than what is already in debian ?
>
> Good frontend for apt (soon anyway, right now it's a better dselect),
> graphical install, system administration software. All stuff I want in
> woody :)

Ok, ...

like i said, the only thing listed here that could cause problems is the
graphical installation stuff. more to it later. The rest should be arch
independent, or is badly coded, ...

> > So what are the causes of problems you could encounter :
>
> You forget number one: the installer.

Yes the graphical installer.

The biggest problem i see here is :

  - keymaps handling.
  - hard disk partitioning and such stuff.
  - Xfree install.

the rest should be pretty standard.

what do you sue for graphical install systems anyway ? a vesafb enabled kernel
? do you speak to the fbdev, or do you use vga16 ? fbdev is supported on all
ppc kernels, so it should not be such a problem.

> > Anyway, i know nothing of what you do, but i guess that the part of the
> > software you use that will cause you the biggest problem will be the Xfree
> > configurator, since debian/ppc use the fbdev server, while on i386 the server
> > access the harddisk directly.
>
> Imaging on disk.. now that's a strange concept :)

err, s/disk/ware/ ...

Friendly,

Sven LUTHER