Re: Patch for GDB

vincent@debian.org said:
> OK, I tested this build of gdb, and it seems to be behaving...
> although it
> still doesn't support threads (the thread patch seems to be applied
> during the
> build and is named i386-threads.patch - ick). I may look at it and see
> if it
> will apply cleanly to PowerPC, but I would be getting a bit out of my
> depth in
> doing so...

> You're patch doesn't apply cleanly to gdb-4.18.19990928-1:

> patching file `gdb/Makefile.in' patching file `gdb/config/powerpc/
> tm-linux.h' Hunk #1 FAILED at 42. 1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving
> rejects to gdb/config/powerpc/tm-linux.h.rej patching file `gdb/
> ppclinux-tdep.c' Hunk #1 FAILED at 54. Hunk #2 FAILED at 562. Hunk #3
> FAILED at 1420. Hunk #4 FAILED at 1437. 4 out of 4 hunks FAILED --
> saving rejects to gdb/ppclinux-tdep.c.rej

It applies cleanly for me (tonight) if I do
apt-get source gdb
patch -p0 < gdp.patch
cd gdb-4.18.19990928
./debian/rules binary

I can also do it if I
tar -xzf gdb_4.18.19990928.orig.tar.gz
zcat gdb_4.18.19990928-1.diff.gz | patch -p0
patch -p0 < gdp.patch

It's quite odd that it's not working for you... has anyone else tried and had
it apply or fail? I can build fine, and at least one other person has
confirmed the patched gdb to be working correctly, though I think that that
person was using my binary deb. Did the patch come through OK wrt. linefeeds,
etc? There are some long lines there...

I also see some URL-encoded characters (&lt, &quot) in the email as posted in
the bug archive - your mailer decoded them, right? Otherwise, the patch is
available (gzipped) on http://southpole.penguinpowered.com/, along with
binaries. That site can be down if my computer is not on&in linux, but that's
rare.