Re: initial xserver set up and Xclaim VR card - TV tuner

Josh Kuperman wrote:

> I managed to get an install into my PowerMac 6500/300. I thought I was
> installing potato, but somehow dselect managed to upgrade it woody. I
> have no problem with that, I just don't remember asking it to or have
> any idea how I did it.

Well, you must have told dselect to look in the woody or unstable tree, as well
as or opposed to the stable or potato tree.

> I really can't tell if things are working or not because I haven't got
> X going. I installed xserver-common, xdm, and a lot of X stuff. I am
> booting through BootX. If I check the no video drivers box it tries to
> start xdm a couple of times and goes back into text mode. I don't
> check the box it starts xdm and goes off to never-never land. I can
> see the screen is requesting a login but can't quite tell where. I
> have a 640x480 monitor that came with a Centris 660av and Info
> 3-button mouse.

Okay, on the linuxPPC list, this is The Most Frequently Asked Question(tm) :-)
My suggestion would be to get a working XF86Config file from someone who has
similar equiptment as you, or modify one so that it fits your equiptment.  Neil
Jolly has an excellent XFree86 page, with sample XF86Config files at:
http://www.members.home.net/njolly/xfree86/

If the one from there doesn't work, I would ask for someone (on the
linuxPPC list or here) who has a 6500 with working X.
Also, I would boot into runlevel 3 until you get X working.  It will be much
easier, as you have control over when X starts, and you can see the error
outputing on the screen, rather than having to root through logs (no pun
intended).

HTH
--Nelson Abramson

--
Shouldn't people be arrested and persecuted for engaging in their
constitutional rights?  http://www.opendvd.org