Re: 3.9.18 PPC X server

Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Feb 2000, Michel [iso-8859-1] Dänzer wrote:
> > This fixes quite some bugs, give it a try if you've been deceived by 3.9.17f,
> > especially as the tarballs are smaller now :)
>
> I tried it on my CHRP-box with plain fbdev (on atyfb).
>
> It locks up my machine, right after `Loading
> /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libshadowfb.a' (I was logged in remotely). The screen
> got black, and the machine stops working. It still respond to ping and the
> Caps-Lock key toggles the Caps-Lock LED. I cannot change VCs. Ssh no longer
> works, but if I telnet to port 22, I do get a `connected' message. So some
> things are still working. Does the X server try to mess with my PCI
> devices/resources?

Yes, as Kostas pointed out, it does...

Additionally, I only hacked up some PCI code originally intended for Alphas to
_build_ on APUS, it may only work here because APUS has no PCI...

Kostas is working on it, and I'm confident he'll get it right.

> Sorry, I didn't find time to boot my machine with a serial console first
> (I didn't want to see half an hour of pseudo-graphical progress of e2fsck on
> my 9600 baud terminal). Perhaps I would have seen some kernel messages...

Yeah, although I like those progress bars, they also have some disasvantages
:)

Michel

--
Software is like sex; it's better when it's free
 -- Linus Torvalds