Re: aspell on PowerPC (Was: Release-critical Bugreport for February 18, 2000

Stephane Bortzmeyer proclaimed:
> This is a huge (upstream) bug in aspell. The compiler, on the PowerPC (where
> chars are unsigned) tell you so:
>
> aspell.cc:611: warning: comparison is always true due to limited range of data
> type
>
> The code is:
>
>     char c;
>     while ((c = FILE.get()) != EOF) {
>
> while get returns an int, to be able to check EOF (-1). This code is
> responsible for 50 % of porting problems to the PowerPC.

I am attaching the response I got from the upstream maintainer.  He
basically says that the bug has most probably been fixed in the later
versions.  I uploaded version 0.29 last week to Incoming (the changes file
said 'unstable; low').  I am in the process of building version 0.29.1  I
will be uploading it to Incoming later today (am going to set the changes
file to say 'frozem;medium').

Could someone build and test aspell form the version (0.29 or 0.29.1) that
is available in Incoming on powerpc and let me know if things are working?

Thanks.

Thaths
--
    "I have two questions for you: How much? and I'll take it."
                     -- Homer J. Simpson
On Wed, 23 Feb 2000, Sudhakar Chandrasekharan wrote:

> Kevin,
>
> There seems to be a bug in aspell that causes it to crash when compiled on
> a powerpc.  The details about the bug are at
> http://cgi.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?archive=no&bug=58358
>
> The next version of Debian is currently being finalized.  The packages have
> been frozen and only bug fixes are being accepted.  This is going to happen
> for the next 10 days.  If this bug is fixed over the coming days then I can
> get it into the frozen version for inclusion in the soon to be released
> Debian 2.2

Is is probably fixed in Aspell .29.1.  As aspell is still alpha I
generally don't maintain old releases at all.

Um Gaspell is still broken.  It requires an aspell library that does not
exist.

----
Kevin Atkinson
kevinatk@home.com