New PPC X server alpha (brown paper bag update)

This should work now, thanks to Sinan Gürkan for help in finding the bug.

I had introduced code to change modes for the HW cursor to work, but
unfortunately it ended in an infinite loop if there was more than one mode :(

I've taken the chance and improved the glint (even more endianness and accel
improvements) and fbdev (now checks if monitor can display modes ;) drivers.

If you have downloaded the buggy version and think you are unlucky, you are
not: You only need the -update tarball.

Please read the .readmes again, most of all if you are on Mac/CHRP/PReP ...

Michel

-- original announcement --

First of all, I'd like to stress that this doesn't run only on Permedia2
boards! The 4.0 release is close, and people should test this so that it will
run on Amigas, Macs etc. when it's released.

Read the accompanying .readme files, I've also attached them to this
announcement!

http://n.ethz.ch/student/daenzerm/download/XFree86/3.9.17f/

The *-glx-* tarballs are for server-built-in OpenGL. Like PMac/Rage128
support, this isn't tested!

Michel

--
The problem with religious texts is that the answers aren't in the back.
Michel Dänzer                             ///           mdaenzer@earthling.net

Update for XFree86 3.9.17f server with Permedia2 hardware acceleration

If you have already downloaded the first, buggy version of the server, you
only need to install this bugfix. Nothing has changed about GLX.

If you don't know which version you've got:

- If it doesn't work, you've probably got the old one

- If it does work, you've probably got the new one (But you can still install
  this, just to be sure)

;-)

Have fun,

Michel Dänzer <michdaen@iiic.ethz.ch>

XFree86 3.9.17f server with Permedia2 hardware acceleration

First of all, make a copy of your XF86Config. Its format has changed since
3.3.x and an example will be installed with the server (/etc/X11/XF86Config).
Please edit it to suit your system.

Extract the tarball to your root directory. Apart from the XF86Config issue,
it should be able to coexist with an existing X installation. (Check out the
server's -xf86config commandline option!) The new server executable is
/usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86, depending on your installation you'll have to make it
suid root (chmod u+s).

Important Note:
---------------

Users without a Permedia2 board can use the also included fbdev driver, it
should also be faster than with 3.3.x (Read and edit the supplied XF86Config
file!)

I've also included the r128 driver for PowerMac users, no idea if it works,
in fact the main executable might not even work! (untested PCI code which
probably just does nothing on Amigas)

*Important note for users with PCI gfx cards*

Apparently, you have to supply a BusID for the fbdev driver to work.

Kostas Gewrgiou <gewrgiou@imbc.gr> is an X developer working on PowerMac
support, contact him if it doesn't work.

Changes since 3.9.16c:

- Most problems (cursor, scrambled images, switching, ...) should be gone
  (Some minor ones are still left though ;-)
  Credits go to the core XFree86 team!

- All acceleration options work now! Please use the new XF86Config or remove
  the options from the device section to get an extra speedup

Features:

- Greatly enhanced hardware acceleration due to the new XAA (XFree
  Acceleration Architecture)

- Hardware cursor

For problem reports etc. contact me, *NOT* XFree86! This is in no way an
official release! The soon-to-be-released 3.9.18 snapshot and the not-so-far-
anymore 4.0 release should build and work pretty cleanly on APUS though :)

Have fun,

Michel Dänzer <michdaen@iiic.ethz.ch>

Software Open GL for XFree86 3.9.17f server

You need the 3.9.17f server for this!

Uncomment the line

    Load	"glx"

in the XF86Config.

This will probably be slower and less smooth than other software
implementations (if it works, haven't tested it ;-), I just release this to
give a preview of what might be possible with GLX & DRI.

Features:

- Mostly compatible with SGI's GLX

- OpenGL via network!