Re: PowerPC bootdisks for potato release.

On Fri, Feb 11, 2000 at 10:56:24AM +0100, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

> If we _really_ want to make something absolutely and completely stripped
> of any Apple code, miBoot should be turned into a fake CD driver burned
> in the disk's partition map. This is possible but more complex and I
> didn't have time to do yet. The current mecanism is really enough to make
> bootable distribution CDs, and since all CD burning software always put
> those boot stuffs on bootable CDs, I beleive there's no legal problems here.

perhaps not legal issues, but I am not certain that Debian policy
would allow for non-free code to be used to create a bootable
CD... comments?

> For the "linux" part of the CD, you have several solutions: You can
> simply have an ext2 image in a big file on the HFS partition and mount it
> via loopback (slow). You can also probably add ext2 partitions using the
> apple partition map of the CD, I _think_ the kernel will see them. You
> can probably also do a multicession CD with the bootable HFS stuffs in
> the first session, but tests must be done to see if MacOS can boot such CDs.

why not make the filesystem format ISO9660 and have the bootloader
load the kernel with a ramdisk image on the ISO partition? or even on
the HFS partition i suppose.. this is essentially how i386 bootable
CDs are done, the kernel loads a ramdisk on the CD, and the BIOS loads
a floppy image on the CD.

--
Ethan Benson