Re: booting the base system.

On Tue, Feb 8, 2000, Logan Hall <Logan.Hall@asu.edu> wrote:

>Ok.  I just installed the base system.  i ran through the installer and did
>everything except the install kernel and modules step.  I manualy installed
>the modules and System.map from my previous LinuxPPC install.  But when
i boot
>the base system i run into trouble.  It gets past the fsck but it locks rigth
>after and says: Loading state of serial devices.  I dug around with the
>ramdisk and my root partion mounted and found that this is the
>/etc/init.d/setserial script.  anyone have any idea what is wrong?  I looked
>at the /etc/serial.conf file but it looks ok i guess (LinuxPPC never used a
>file like this so i don't know exactly what it should look like).  Any ideas?

That's a usual problem. I noticed that here too, some of the debian init
scripts cause parport.o and serial.o to be loaded and this cause
obviously a crash on PowerMacs since those modules will try to access
no-existent hardware at fixed io addresses.

The reason why they are actually compiled as modules in PowerMac kernels
is that they are intended to be loaded with specific base address
parameters for some PCCards.