Re: Continuing Annoyances...

On Tue, 4 Jan 2000, C.M. Connelly wrote:
> 1. gdm locks up the keyboard when started at boot time.
>
>    X starts, gdm comes up, the mouse works, but you can't type.
>    Which also means you can't switch to a virtual terminal to stop
>    and restart gdm.  (Luckily we have three Unix machines in our
>    house, so it's only annoying to have to telnet or ssh in and
>    fix the problem.)

I used to have a similar problem. It's gone since I upgraded gdm (2.0-0.beta4.5
now). I still have a different problem: on one out of 5 boot ups, the X server
locks up after I typed a few characters in the login widget. Killing X remotely
fixes it. I didn't suffer from that problem with xdm.

> 5. Does gpm work on PowerMacs?  If so, how should it be
>    configured?
>
>    I have gpm running on my system, as installed from the base
>    install (I assume) and with the arguments it came with
>
>       device=/dev/adbmouse
>       responsiveness=
>       type=ms
>       append="-l \"a-zA-Z0-9_.:~/\300-\326\330-\366\370-\377\""

Adbmouse behaves like a busmouse, just like all those other pseudo busmouse
drivers (amigamouse, atarimouse).

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,
--
Geert Uytterhoeven -- Linux/{m68k~Amiga,PPC~CHRP} -- geert@linux-m68k.org