Re: Phase 5 Statement on Linux for PowerPC

According to Geert Uytterhoeven <Geert.Uytterhoeven@cs.kuleuven.ac.be>:

> > Another possibility I thought of is semi-emulating the ThinkPad 860.
> > There's 4.3G SCSI *laptop* HDDs now, apparently. And we all know SCSI
> > beats IDE any day. Sooo.. well.. you know where I'm going. (The ThinkPad
> > 860 (603/166) has a 2x SCSI2 CD-ROM and a 2.5G SCSI2 HDD.)
>
> Are you aware of pricing for 2.5" SCSI HDs? If I want a new replacement for the
> dead 540 MB disk in my DEC UDB, it would cost about 250 EUR (fortunately a friend had a spare 340 MB disk lying around). Not to mention pricing for multi-GB
> disks.

I have seen a vendor selling 2.5" SCSI HD for a more reasonable
price It appears that those were IDE HD with IDE<->SCSI
micro-converter put on it (they did not hide this fact).
3.2GB cost $349.

See <http://www.powerbook1.com/pbharddrives.html#scsi>

Hope this helps.

Hub