Re: controlling the load average

Previously Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
>     while (loadavg > threshold)
> 	sleep(10);

Are you proposing doing that for all load-intensive applications? I
would object to that. I seem to remember we have a tool that
automatically stops a process if the load gets too high, maybe that
would be useful here..

You should propose this on debian-devel though..

> A lot of programs start update-menus in the background upon installation. If
> you install (or upgrade) 50 of them, you get 50 running update-menus processes
> fighting for CPU cycles.

That's not true, update-menu detect there is already a copy running and
doesn't start a new one. Once dpkg is finished that single update-menu
process will update all menus.

Wichert.

E-Mail: wichert@cs.leidenuniv.nl