Re: controlling the load average

Previously Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> I think the Debian installation tools need something to monitor the load
> average, to prevent systems from [ct]rashing during install. Cfr. sendmail
> which stops processing mail when the load average is above a specified
> threshold.

This sounds like you hit the bug in menu where it eats all your memory.
FWIW, a fix has already been uploaded and should hit the mirrors
tonight.

What kind of checking did you have in mind? The only thing I can think
of during package installation that could put a strain on the system
is running mandb or upgrading TeX, but neither should increase the load
so much that for example sendmail stops processing mail..

Wichert.

E-Mail: wichert@cs.leidenuniv.nl