Re: where is xfree?

Tom Rini <trini@kernel.crashing.org> writes:

> On Fri, 24 Sep 1999, Sven LUTHER wrote:

> > > No, I'm saying the 3.3.5-1.1 works better than 3.3.3.1-10, however neither work
> > > as well as the 3.3.5 from Tom Rini (just stole the binary from his .rpm).
> > >

> > Ok, that means Tom Rini has some patch we are not aware of, or that some
> > of the  mach64 stuff in the debian patches messed things up for you.
>
> Right now, I build X w/ the following patches (For FBDev):
> XFree86-3.3.3.1-fbdev_dc.patch (DC hack to fbdev/fbdev.c, colormap fix)
> XFree86-3.3.3.1-fbdev_dga.patch (Enable some DGA extentions, xawtv works)
> XFree86-3.3.5-fbdev_15.patch: This does a few things good and bad.  The
> depth line in XF86Config should now be the values of red, green and blue
> that the fb uses.  ie "Depth 16" is now 16 or 15, depending on what the
> values add up to, and "Depth 32" should always be 24  (8+8+8).  Kevin
> Hendricks is responsible for this one and can explain better.
> XFree86-3.3.5-fbdev_machutil.patch: I posted this one a while back, this
> adds in LinkSourceFile(mach64util.h...) to the mach64 dir, and #ifndef
> powerpc's regw/etc in mach64util.h
>
> I think those are the only patches which would have any effect on accel
> stuff (which in the RPMs is not perfect, I've gotten a small glitch report
> on ati+blackbox).

I'm afraid I managed to fool most people here. Your (Tom's that is)
XF68_FBDev gives the same symptoms as the rest, now that I've managed
to force it to occur.

Forcing it is a simple 3 step method, involving netscape.

1. Start X
2. Start netscape
3. Switch to console _before_ netscape opens a window.

It will now crash the X server on my Lombard if acceleration
is active. I have no other machines capable of acceleration
to test this on, so I don't know if it happens to others too.

/Stefan