help installing Debian using LinuxPPC June '99..

Greetings,

I was wondering if it is still possible to somehow do a "manual" install from
base2_2.tgz using an existing Linux/PPC installation? I tried to follow the
minihowto thing, but wasn't terribly sucessful (that is, base2_2.tgz from
potato-current) -

* dselect wasn't able to configure everything in the base packages due to missing
  helper programs (update-rc.d and install-info); I tried simply commenting those
  out of the postinst scripts, and everything configured, but when I booted
  I got an "enter runlevel:" prompt..

So what am I doing wrong, or is it even possible to install this way?

Any tips would be appreciated,

as always,
nick-r

nick@intus.net