Re: new kernel

On Wed, Sep 22, 1999 at 01:15:13PM +0200, GRAVE Xavier wrote:

> I've just recompiled a kernel (2.2.9) for my MVME2301 Board (cross
> compilation), and I would like to know how I can use it know. I've tryed
> to change the link vmlinuz -> boot/vmlinuz-2.2.9 in the / directory but
> It doesn't seem to function. Do I need to recompile the bootprep.bin file ?

The placement of the kernel in boot/vmlinuz-* and handling the symlink
from /vmlinuz is just a formality for now on PReP systems.  PReP boots
from a hard disk by means of a type 41 PRePboot partition on the drive.
You simply dd the image directly into that partition which can be 1-2MB in
size.

In your case, however, I think you are nfsrooting your installation.  What
you want to do is enable tftp on your nfs host, place the kernel image on
that host, and use the network autoboot features of PPCBUG to autoboot the
image across the network.

--
Matt Porter
mmporter@home.com