Re: gcc 2.95.1-2 and ld

On Tue, Sep 14, 1999 at 10:14:05AM +0200, Hartmut Koptein wrote:
> > I upgraded gcc to version 2.95.1-2 and I cannot build any binaries.
> >
> > This is error messages.
> > ---------------------------
> > /usr/bin/ld: unrecognised emulation mode: elf32ppclinux
> > Supported emulations: elf32ppc
> > collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> > ---------------------------
> >
> > So I checked gcc's site and I found these installation notes
> > <http://egcs.cygnus.com/install/specific.html#powerpc-*-linux-gnu*>. These
> > documents says if we use gcc 2.95.1 on powerpc ,we need to use
> > binutils-2.9.4.0.8 or newer version.
> >
> > I think we need source NMU for binutils on powerpc, or explain this
> > problem to binutils's maintener and request to update binutils newer
> > version.
>
> In experimental is a newer version of binutils.

Noticed it also, while i tried to build the xfree-3.3.4 stuff.

Hope it will go away after uploading the experimental binutils.

Should i upload the X package i will build, or will the autobuilder
take care of it ?

Also i noticed the following bug too :

bahs$ vim
BUG IN DYNAMIC LINKER ld.so: dl-runtime.c: 67: fixup: Assertion `((reloc->r_info) & 0xff) == 21' failed!

Is it the same bug, or should vim be recompiled ?

Also i noticed there are lots of links from binary-powerpc to
slink/binary-all instead of to potato/binary-all. Is this correct
behavior, or should i fill bugs against the ftp repository ? (one
example was (yesterday) text/sgmlpm or something such, it is the perl
bindings to sgml.)

Friendly,

Sven LUTHER