Re: RS/6000

The newer firmware on the F50 has trouble with Linux.  I think the firmware
is flawed and am talking with the IBM firmware engineers about it now.  You
can downgrade to the older firmware or run UP.

The short version is the secondary cpus cannot get the MMU turned on.  The
IR and DR bits are set, but it refuses to do virtual accesses and only
physical ones.

} Ok, I am stumped.  I have been trying to build an SMP kernel for my
} F50, and have hit a wall.
}
} It is stopping somewhere after prom_init (I added a prom_print that
} shows it is exiting this), and before printing anything else.  It is
} still in OF. From what I can see in the code, after prom_init, it is
} back into head.S, and at that point, I'm a bit stumped - I don't know
} a lot about assembly, let alone PPC (although I hope to get a book on
} the PPC instruction set soon), and it seems rather difficult to even
} call something like prom_print (which is how I have been 'debugging').

linux-ppc-dev would be.

} I'll ask again - is there any kind of ppc-kernel list that would be an
} appropriate place for questions like this?