GNOME terminal madness

I recently added Unix98 pty support to my kernels. From then on, the GNOME
terminals set TERM to "dumb". Why is that?

I now set TERM to "linux" in .bashrc . Is there a better solution?

People who are wrong the most are wrong the loudest.
Michel Dänzer                             ///           mdaenzer@earthling.net
                                     __  /// 	     AmigaOS/Linux(Debian/PPC)
Student of computer science at the   \\\///   Team *AMIGA*      ICQ #: 5675698
Swiss Federal Institute of Technology \\\/   AUGS member #163      IRC: CoOpER