Re: specific to Hartmut Kuptein

I just obtained the latest 2.2.12 kernel images from

and tried both prep and chrp on this machine.  They both had the same
net result (hung the machine on what appears as a graphics error, but
don't really know).  However, the prep diskette seemed to be read by
the boot-up process for a much longer period of time which may imply
that it is the correct machine type.  Just what does a chrp boot image
on the AIX CD really mean anyway?

>BTW, I did some searching around and still can't find anything that
>clearly states what architecture a 40P is.  Just some vague references to
>them working under Linux.  Seems that is a 43P is PReP arch then a 40P
>would be as well. But who am I to know what the "P" signifies?
>Matt Porter
>This is Linux Country. On a quiet night, you can hear Windows reboot.

|James D. Freels, P.E._i, Ph.D. |Phone:  (423)576-8645 |   | L | A |
|Oak Ridge National Laboratory  |FAX:    (423)574-9172 | H | I | L |
|Research Reactors Division     |work e-m: fea@ornl.gov| F | N | P |
|P. O. Box 2008                 |home e-m: fea@icx.net | I | U | H |
|Oak Ridge, Tennessee 37831-6392|world's best neutrons | R | X | A |