Re: Phase 5 Statement on Linux for PowerPC

On Thu, 19 Aug 1999, Ludovic HIRLIMANN wrote:

> Why are so many people trying linux ?
> Because they are tired of M$ for once other just to play rebels .....
>
> For the PowerPC the winning Ticket will be something like Your really leaving
> the Wintel space - No More IRQ and other hardware configuration pbs .....

Although that's what motivates myself and other to do free software for
Linux on PowerPC, for a hardware solution you have to motivate marketing
at a hardware company with a real business plan that can be profitable.

At MCG, there are two fully automated lines that have sat idle which
produced the CHRP boards for the Starmax.  To fire them up, I'd have to
hammer a legitimate business case at marketing for a long period of time.

Consider that MCG has been burnt in consumer stuff more than even IBM.
Burnt by MS with the NT deal and then burnt by Apple with the MacOS deal.
Both attempts to create a commodity market.  Now, I've got to convince
them that somebody's going to buy 10000 boards a year to make it
worthwhile given the overhead of the highly-paid manufacturing team.  Who
can commit to move 10000 boards a year in Linux boxes?  VA and Penguin
aren't even interested in building an alternative architecture box.

Yes, I'm pessimistic, but always looking for the light.

I think some el cheapo Taiwanese board manufacturer is the best shot we've
got with IBM's backing (hey they've got deep pockets and a lot of Linux
hype/momentum ).

--
Matt Porter
mmporter@home.com