serial port screw up

Since I upgraded my system after three weeks of inactivity and rebooted after
that, my serial port (NS16550 type) is screwed up: I get weird characters
instead of the login prompt on my terminal. However, I can login, and
everything I type is echoed correctly. `cat'ing a file to /dev/ttyS0 gives
garbage, too.

It's not a baud problem. Also kernel messages are displayed correctly (using
console=ttyS0). During the first part of the boot up, boot up messages (from
init) are displayed correctly. Suddenly I start getting garbage.

I'll try to find out which of the startup scripts causes the problem. if
someone else already have an idea, I'd be glad to hear...

Geert Uytterhoeven                     Geert.Uytterhoeven@cs.kuleuven.ac.be