Re: Dead modem, and other newbie install gripes
After a fresh install this past Saturday, the modem works again. Never
figured out why it broke, oh well. Also, it's cool how fast perl
packages were updated!
A couple of questions (system: StarMax 3000/160, Sunday's 2.2.10
powermac kernel image deb, atyfb):
* When I try to mount /floppy, I get "/dev/fd0: not a valid block
* Where is eject? How can I eject the floppy (without a paperclip)?
* Is FB Overflow a known problem? I get when switching consoles away
from one with a network app scrolling the screen, e.g. fetchmail or
apt. Happens in offb or atyfb, vmode 17 or 18.
* I did something stupid, and now /bin/hostname doesn't work. I put
something in /etc/hostname when installing, but I'm on ppp, so I
shouldn't have a hostname. Now /bin/hostname returns the error
"Can't get hostname". I've been doing dumb things like "mv
/bin/hostname /bin/hostname.bak; echo 'echo localhost' >
/bin/hostname; chmod +x /bin/hostname" just to get stuff to work,
but not everything does. How can I make it work again? I really
don't want to reinstall...
* Xfb doesn't work (cursor on white screen), but it gives the error
from /bin/hostname, so I think it's trying to send everything to a
Thanks in advance,
-Adam "...the firmament sheweth His handywork" (Ps 19:1) ///
Adam "Cold Fusion" Powell IV Firmament Science & Engineering\\\///_|
http://lyre.mit.edu/~powell/ Standing on the Solid State Rock\XX/ |MIGA