Re: libc and Libtool

On Mon, 31 May 1999, Michel Dänzer wrote:

> adavis2@rochester.rr.com wrote:
>
> >     This is my second time installing Debian (once a few months back)
> > anyways, I installed it today, and have been playing around trying to
> > get some more recent libs to compile. Here's where my question comes
> > in, I keep getting the following message from libtool, Is this a
> > common/normal thing with Deb (any ideas on how to make it go away)?
> >
> > *** Warning: This library needs some functionality provided by -lc.
> > *** I have the capability to make that library automatically link inwhen
> > *** you link to this library.  But I can only do this if you have a
> > *** shared version of the library, which you do not appear to have.
>
> I've seen that many times, and so far, all those libraries/apps have worked
> afterwards. Or at least they their not working wasn't related to that message
> ;) I guess you can safely ignore it.

Actually...  That means the program comes w/ an old version of libtool
that's x86-centric.  Get 1.2f or newer, and run libtoolize --force --copy,
then configure/make.  The above warning can be serious, when it complains
about something other then -lc or -ldl.

---
Tom Rini (TR1265)
http://gate.crashing.org/~trini/