iMac/quik booting problem

In an attempt to clean things up from my last attempt at iMac debian,
I decided to try a clean install. I wiped both LinuxPPC and debian and
started anew. Everything went well, I thought, and the instructions
seemed to have improved enormously. One minor problem came during my
first root login when it asked for the List's of packages to install
and no matter what I chose it complained about having to select them
first. This was right before it dumped me into dselect. Strange.

Another problem is that, at the moment, dselect seems to not want to
scroll beyond the ldso package.

But my real problem is that I can't boot very well anymore. When I soft
reset the machine, it hangs. When I try a hard reset, it gives me an
image of a floppy with a blinking question mark. I can boot using the
restore CD, use Drive Setup to mount the drives, and then use BootX
to get into Linux, but I can't load the extensions so I can't use most
of the existing MacOS stuff. This occured after I booted Debian for the
first time. The only thing that I can think of is that quik somehow
broke the boot sequence, since it ran at this point.

If anyone has heard of or encountered this problem before, I'd really
appreciate any advice you might be able to give me.

Matt

--
Matthew J. Kraai  Senior, Computer Science, Carnegie Mellon University

Freedom is not free.