Re: broken bash?

On Tue, May 18, 1999 at 10:30:11PM -0600, Jeremiah Merkl wrote:
> life sucks.
>
> I was upgrading from LinuxPPC to Debian. I had a lot of problems with
> apt tho, and it failed and segfaulted a few times.
>
> I thought that APT was supposed to work around problems like upgrading
> libreadline without breaking bash. For me, when I finally figured out
> the pathing on my local mirror, and apt didn't segfault on me, it
> upgraded libreadline, and told me that from what I remember, it said
> that bash was unconfigured, as was apt. And then apt started
> segfaulting, and now I'm screwed. I probably shouldn't have logged out,
> but its too late now.
>
> So, in the meantime, any ideas how to fix my wonderful mess?
>
> Or am I stuck with complete re-installation? Are the disks working yet,
> or is there a working RAMdisk image anyplace?
>
> Sorry if I sound rude, but this sucked hard, and became the capstone to
> an already nasty day.

This is a FAQ, don't know if there is a debian/ppc FAQ anywhere though.

Anyway, best way is to boot with a rootimage, don't know if there is a debian
specific boot image available, but you could get the linuxppc one i guess.
Then copy the faulting libreadline2g libs from the boot image to your broken
sysytem, or better yet, copy the old libreadline2g libs from the base package,
since they will be libc compatible.

then boot again, upgrade bash by hand (dpkg -i --force-depends bashxxx.deb) and
run apt-get again.

Why is this bitting us yet ? what is the problem with bash/readline2g
presenting some nice depends: stuff working around this ? or at least there
should be a newer base tarball or something ...

Friendly,

Sven LUTHER