Re: Any suggestions for reviving a hosed bash?

Sven LUTHER wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 17, 2004 at 12:44:14PM -0800, Rob Clark wrote:
> > Is there a recommended way to recover?  I have been poking around on my
> > root filesystem by passing init=... args to the kernel  (ie init=/bin/ls
> > -F /bin /sbin) and have come the the conclusion that bash is the only
> > shell on the root fs.  (There is /bin/csh which is a symlink to a
> > symlink to /usr/bin/tcsh, but /usr is a seperate fs.)  I don't think
> > there is any way to recover without having a shell... because the root
> > fs is still mounted read-only, it would take at least two commands to
> > replace bash, but you only get one by using init=... .
> >
> > I am running out of ideas to try... any suggestions?
>
> What i did was just copy the older libreadline2g from an older partition, maybe you
> could try it with the ones from the ramdisks, then you reboot normally and all
> works fine, then you upgrade bash, check it, and reupgrade libreadlineg2, ignoring
> the fact that dpkg tells you it is already installed ...
>
> what about adding a depends : bash (new version) to the new libreadlineg2 or
> something like that, that will not let you install stuff that breaks our system ?
> or maybe a conflicts . bash (old version) ?

	From what I can tell, the installed bash (assuming it's the tgz
install) goes autistic when confronted with the new readline. Another
idea is to make the tgz's bash depend DIRECTLY on the tgz version of
readline. Rather than greater or equal to, require it to be. That way
it'll have to update bash before readline.

> Friendly,
>
> Sven LUTHER

-
Dan Wood