Re: Linux for MVME1603?

On Wed, 28 Apr 1999, Michael Shiloh wrote:

> As the name would suggest, I have a board which is a Motorola VME board
> based on the PPC 603. Anyone know where I might find Linux for this beast?
>
> If I can't find a prepared Linux for this, what Linux community (web page,
> list, newsgroup) might be the closest?

Join the linuxppc-dev list at www.linuxppc.org.  The MVME23/24/26/36/46xx
as well as most other MCG boards are well-supported under Linux since they
all use the same PowerPlus architecture which revolves around a standard
PCI local bus and use the Universe to interface to VME.  The MVME1603
might work now with the vger cvs kernel since it uses an MPC105 bridge to
well-supported devices like the ncr8xx SCSI and DEC21x40 Ethernet.  I
haven't tried it myself though I should get some of our dusty old 160x's
out.  I heard once that Gary Thomas did some initial work on these boards
a long time ago...check the linuxppc-dev archives for any 1603 hits for
more info.

--
Matt Porter
mmporter@home.com